Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Isle of Bute: Kilchattan Bay

We had a short but delightful visit to this deserted bay, just two and a half miles from the southernmost part of the island. My photos were taken at the very end of the narrow coast road, near the bus turning area and the shingle beach.




View across the water





The colours of the rocks and pebbles are beautiful, particularly the red sandstone (I brought back a small piece!) There was a lot of different insect life close to the shore.


A Rosy Rustic Moth (Hydraecia micacea)

I was actually holding the ragwort stem quite close to the flower head, to stop it waving about in the breeze, but the moth didn't seem to mind!

Small Copper Butterfly (Lycaena phlaeas)

Very pretty butterfly but harder to photograph than the moth. As always, I could have done with extra time to take more photos!

4 comments:

Kirigalpoththa said...

Delightful place! I love it!!

Jane said...

Thanks Kirigalpoththa!

Anonymous said...

Nice wildlife pics.Theres a lot of great scenery on Rothesay ,I just didn't stay long enough,I think your fooled into thinking its a small island a couple of days will be enough.

I hope you managed to solve the problem with the fonts on your new blog,I tend to post my pictures a week in advance,if I happen to copy and paste from a word document it seems to upset the fonts on blogger usually making the font size enormous.

Gerry

Jane said...

Thanks Gerry, You're right and you definitely need more time on Bute as there's a lot to see.

I think that's what I did - cut and pasted from Word. I must remember not to do that next time!