Saturday, November 1, 2008

Kilmacolm

What a joy it was to visit Kilmacolm recently (October 2008) for the first time in years. We used to stop here often when I was a child after visiting Granny at the Bridge of Weir Hospital. Unfortunately, it was a dull, wet, day and the light was failing as the afternoon was drawing to a close. However, I managed a few photos and there was time for a coffee too!

Two photos of the village centre

A closer view of Kilmacolm Parish Church, the 'Old Kirk'

St Columba's Church

Some other random photos which I took before the light ran out:

(What a pity that even clicking on the above board doesn't make it quite large enough to read)


By chance, I met a lovely, friendly, lady called Geraldine McCullough who writes for The Gazette
newspaper and we had a chat. This was recorded in the newspaper the following Wednesday! (This time, clicking should enlarge it quite a bit)

Below, where Geoffrey and I had some coffee

Many cakes were eaten during our holiday (hence the diet since we returned)!

My review of Pieri's Cafe for the Qype website can be found here

Then it was time to return to where we were staying in Largs. The Lochwinnoch road was closed for repairs but I'm always happy to drive through Greenock. Ah, those memories!

The Wikipedia website has a very good page about Kilmacolm. It can be found here

3 comments:

Denis Bell said...

Hi Jane, thanks for youre comments on my stuff again. I'm glad that you got north to your roots again with Geoffrey. Pity you weren't up this last week, been cold but great weather...crisp and bright.
I enjoyed the Kilpatricks immensely on later Friday afternoon. Had a motorbike ride yesterday to Strathyre (couple of dicky moments...2 wheels can be like that!); cycled and then walked today too, so a busy weekend.
I liked your tenacity to get to AJ Cronin's Rose Cottage, pity it didn't increase your inspiration.
Kind regards, Denis.

klaus4044 said...

I will say, I saw all the pictures and like them all, verry good made, love regards klaus h from Duisburg, Germany

Jane said...

Thank you both - much appreciated!