The Victoria Tower as seen from the park, part of the impressive Town Hall (which was built in 1886 at a cost of over £100,000) and which must surely be one of the finest municipal buildings in Scotland
Below: Some of the views over Greenock from the park, many looking towards the Clyde and the mountains of Argyll
Above: The well which gave the park its name, placed there by by the local laird John Shaw. There is a faded inscription, '1629', with his initials and those of his wife (Helen Housten). It was the original well for the residence of the Shaw family who were very influential on the development of the town; their mansion house was at the bottom of Lynedoch Street but demolished in 1886 owing to railway tunnelling.
T.G. Snoddy wrote in his book, 'Round About Greenock' in 1937, "It is curious how both the retrospect and prospect of Greenock's life seem to take centre in the green open level which we call the Well-park. This spot after all was the cradle of local history. Here stood the old castle stead and the later mansion. From here the Galbraiths, the Shaws, and the Shaw Stewarts looked over the village or the growing town and guided the community's development."